The Colour of Magic


The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett

(Technically, I should probably add the "(Discworld #1)" to the title but I'm not reading these in order/listen to some of them as audiobook and basically don't treat the series as a series at all. You have been warned.)

Blurb:

On a world supported on the back of a giant turtle (sex unknown), a gleeful, explosive, wickedly eccentric expedition sets out. There's an avaricious but inept wizard, a naive tourist whose luggage moves on hundreds of dear little legs, dragons who only exist if you believe in them, and of course THE EDGE on the planet...

Review:

Precisely why all the above should be so is not clear, but goes some way to explain why, on the disc, the Gods are not so much worshipped as blamed.

This isn't my first Terry Pratchett, or Discworld for that matter, novel I've read; it isn't the best Discworld story I've read so far but, I think, it is the quickest. Not the shortest, mind you, but reading this felt almost seamless. I practically flew through the pages (I would have read this in one sitting if I weren't so occupied with watching climbing worldcups/climbing myself/baking a birthday cake).

Basically, I believe that this is a brilliant introduction to the Discworld universe. Sure, there are all the usual shenanigans the protagonist(s) get into (which is what makes for a very lighthearted comedy-aspect) but it tackles a lot broader broader concepts than other books have, it is pretty short – so you have time to dip your feet into the universe but don't have to commit to any sort of intricate storyline –, and it hints at enough things to leave room for the reader to experience the potential of this universe.

As for the story itself, I found it rather interesting to read from Rincewind's perspective because he is a rather selfish/cowardly character (contrary to someone like Sam Vimes) and is constantly confronted with the ruthlessness/selflessness/blind curiosity witnessed in other characters (again: lighthearted fun). And I'm really curious to see what happens to him next (and how he ends up in the position I've encountered him in before). The adventure was action-packed as usually and it hardly allowed for a moment to gasp for breath. I believe Rincewind describes it at several points perfectly by stating that whenever something good happens to him, something terrible is bound to follow suit swiftly.

Twoflower was a tourist, the first ever seen on the discworld. Tourist, Rincewind had decided, meant "idiot".

Rating:

Apparently, I seem to make a habit of rating all Terry Pratchett novels I read with 4/5 stars. I don't know why this rating fits so perfectly but I'll have to apply it again.

Details:

Name: The Colour of Magic
Deutscher Titel: Die Farben der Magie
Series: Discworld, Rincewind
Author: Terry Pratchett
Publisher: Corgi
Pages: 285

Comments

Beliebte Posts.

Sharp Objects

A June Throwback

A September Throwback